Tuesday, May 17, 2005

E3? You know in script kiddie land that's just EE

OK I couldn't think of a good title, so sue me. With E3 right around the corner (hell it's tomorrow) I've got a few colleagues that will be providing some information straight from the exhibit floor!

Sadly as I am a working stiff I will just be here as always writing weird ramblings. What has E3 really evolved into and what kind of buzz is really being generated to the consumer? Personally E3 is just a nice benchmark where I can get more information about pending releases. Do I feel a need to hunger for every iota of information from it? Of course not. In a lot of ways E3 is the "Demo version" of gaming conventions. For those fortunate few who can attend it's a chance to rub elbows and see the latest stuff first. But in the end it's just a trade show like any other. Those who attend and those who provide actual journalism on the subject are probably the only ones benefiting.

For the non-attendee E3 is much like the Oscars. You get to see who's wearing what and the big wigs but do you really get anything out of it? I never thought so, and in some ways I consider E3 to be a stake in the ground marking a time when games SHOULD be released. Call it cynical if you want but I just don't get that excited about trade shows these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home