Sunday, April 22, 2007

5-Min Review Panasonic DMC-TZ1


It isn't often that I am pleasantly surprised by a Point and Shoot camera. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 however was quite a surprise in terms of its flexibility and usability for beginners. I originally purchased this camera to test and sample photographs for the photography panel I'm involved involved with for this years Kawaii Kon.

Here's the basic rundown. Built around a Leica lens and 5MP sensor the TZ1 is a small, relatively easy to grip P&S. The controls are very simple though I found the buttons at the rear of the camera somewhat small for most hands.

The optical zoom is a surprising 10x with an additional 4x digital. Realistically however I would recommend only using the 10x optical. Magnifying as far in as an effective 40x gives rise to a pixelated image which I really wouldn't use as a webpost. The TZ1 lists this option as their EZ Zoom.

Another quirk, at least to me is the fact that the TZ1 uses a lens cap. I'm no stranger to caps in SLR's but for a consumer camera I'll admit I found the lens cap offputting . Convenience wise it isn't the greatest, nor does Panasonic include a laniard strap for it. The battery compartment and SD storage slot are neatly kept in the grip, though the battery release is again rather small.

Shot accuracy is surprisingly good for a camera which has no viewfinder, aided in part by the Image Stabilization (anti-shake) mode. In particular the camera did a good job in its Macro shot mode, particularly compared against my Canon SD400. White balance controls could use some work, but the two pre-set Scene modes were a nice touch for novices. One mode I found particularly amusing is the Food Mode. Yes, you heard right, a preset intended to shoot in a macro-style mode with white balance adjustments for Flourescent. My mother will get a kick out of it.

At a retail cost under $200, the TZ1 is a very nice starter camera. Giving you better range in zoom than some 6-7MP cameras, a simple to use interface and image stabilization (not digital stabilization I should note) the camera packs a great set of features in a cost-effective device. If you're looking for a camera for a relative or a novice just getting into being a shutter bug, this should be on your list of purchase candidates.



 


Example of 3rds Grid Mode, very handy for beginners



 
Posted by Picasa Simple dial controls with Normal and Simple shot modes and SCN (Scene) programable modes

1 Comments:

At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed an illustration of water ripples and your photo at http://www.vraxx.com/image/photos/water_ripple.jpg
is what i was looking for. It is for an art discussion blog, ragged cloth cafe, at http://junomain.wordpress.com/. do you mind?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home